SANJAR SHAH

North wall and doorway (center) of the main room into the corridor (Gropp and Kurbanov, Abb. 11). (Courtesy of the author)A new addition to Encyclopaedia Iranica

SANJAR SHAH, an archeological site in Tajikistan. In 1946 a team of Soviet orientalists surveyed the foothills of the Zarafshan (Zarafšān) mountain ridge in northern Tajikistan for archeological monuments. During their second campaign of 1947, the expedition reached the estuary of the Magiān-daryā (River of the Magi) near the settlement of Sujina, northern Tajikistan. There the site of Sanjar Shah was first noticed, and it was briefly described in the resulting publication (Expedition).